Skip to main content

My interview with BBC Radio Manchester


Lindsey Cree is a carer, Involvement Worker with Rethink Mental Illness, Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) instructor, Trainer, Counsellor in private practice, Researcher with Manchester University. She writes here about a recent radio internveiw

Lindsey addressing a recent RMCIA event
As Chair of Rethink Manchester Carers In Action (RMCIA) I write our monthly newsletter and email it to our contacts. Those on our mailing list are a varied bunch – carers, service users, mental health organisations, professionals and local media/newspapers. Our August 2012 newsletter focussed on a wellbeing and fundraising event to raise funds to give our carers a treat, and was picked up by BBC Radio Manchester who telephoned me to ask if I would come in a few days later and give a 30 minute Live interview about our carers group, how I got involved, and our upcoming event. I immediately knew this was an excellent opportunity to talk to the general public about severe mental illness.

I had never spoken Live on radio before, and shortly after I agreed to do the interview apprehensions began to creep in – will I say something stupid, will I get my facts wrong, what if I dry up, the anxieties were endless! However, to deal with worry I normally use a strategy which allows me to bask in a ‘3 minute worry time’ whenever I begin to feel anxious. So, I worried for England! I imagined all kinds of catastrophes, anything that could go wrong would, worse case scenarios, I would even trip up on entering the studio and fall onto the mic!!! You can’t imagine how therapeutic this is until you’ve tried it yourself. The key is to wallow in self doubt, pity, fear etc for a full 3 minutes and no longer. This gets all those uncomfortable thoughts out of the way – it kind of clears the decks, freeing me up to enjoy the task.

Worry time now over I began to make notes of the messages I wanted to share about mental illness. I knew 30 minutes was a long time so I made certain I covered all my main points, stigma, carers, myths about mental illness, support for families, hope and recovery, early intervention and young people. Oh yes – most important, our upcoming fundraising event! I began to realise half an hour would go very quickly.

On the day of the interview, noting the time, I realised I would be on air for about 10 minutes and not 30, crumbs I have too much to say! I walked into the studio, my notes on hand with bullet points and as I sat down the interviewer said ‘we’ll be on air in 20 seconds, you won’t need notes, they will be distracting. Let’s go with the flow and I’ll ask you a few questions. Is there anywhere you’d like me to begin?’ I quickly said ‘yes, ask me why I became involved with Rethink carers group’. I looked up and saw a red light ‘On Air’. From thereon in the conversation flowed, I simply trusted her as a professional to stay in control if I went off on a tangent,  to remind me if I ‘forget’ what the question is and allow me the space to raise a few issues like stigma and early intervention.

It felt good to talk about a subject so dear to my heart, and despite the lack of time, I felt determined to mention some serious matters surrounding severe mental illness like stigma and the importance of early intervention. The interviewer had done her homework too, and we got into a good discussion about stigma and how to break down the barriers.

 I was just starting to feel at ease when the time was up. Thankfully, I managed to tell listeners about our carer’s event the following week and I’m sure we got some more visitors because of the publicity.

The comments and feedback I received about my time on air has been truly encouraging, even enlightening. I think I’ve found my niche, which is SO cool as talking has always been my one of my fave subjects :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free workshop for female mental health service users

The Centre for Women's Mental Health in the  University of Manchester are offering a FREE half day workshop for female mental health service users who wish to improve their knowledge about sexual and reproductive health matters and their interaction with mental health. Participants will be introduced to an innovative online resource ( www.scie.org.uk/publications/elearning/sexualhealth/index.asp ), and provided with opportunities to reflect critically on these matters drawing on their own experience.   The workshop will run on Friday 19 April 2013, 9.45am-2.00pm, at the University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PL. (Venue details to be confirmed).  For further details about the workshop and how to book a place, please see the poster .

Update on closure of MRI inpatient services

The NHS North West Board has approved the capital funding for Manchester Mental Health and Social Care Trust's Inpatient Pathway Redesign (IPR) Project. See the Trust's website for more information about this . This means that the Trust will now proceed with plans to relocate its inpatient services to two sites from the current three. The change will result in the inpatient beds that are currently at Edale House at Manchester Royal Infirmary being relocated to Park House on the North Manchester General Hospital site. The Trust says: "This will give us unprecedented opportunities to improve care to our service users and their carers." When the Trust announced its intention to close the inpatient unit at MRI we wrote to the Manchester Evening News to express our concerns about the extra burden this would place on some carers in terms of extra travelling time. The Trust's latest communication about the IPR states that: "The work in addressing concerns about

Craig Harris, Executive Nurse & Director for Manchester CCGs to talk at our AGM

Clinical Commissioning Groups commission a large chunk of our mental health services, and with wide-ranging changes planned to Manchester we are please to welcome Craig Harris, Executive Nurse & Director, North, Central and South Manchester NHS Clinical Commissioning Groups, as the speaker for our AGM next week. The AGM will take place next Wednesday, 11th May, from 6 - 8pm at Manchester Carers Centre, 12-18 Pollard Street, M4 7AN. For directions see below. No need to book - all are welcome. Light snacks and refreshments will be provided. Craig will talk to us about the current planned changes to mental health commissioning in Manchester, and about what motivates him to work in mental health. After qualifying as a mental health nurse in 2000, Craig worked in clinical practice until 2005. Since leaving full time clinical practice he has served as Executive Nurse for South Manchester CCG and held a variety of Clinical Commissioning posts including Head of Mental Health Joint Co